Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Arles, Paris...And

Boris Mikhailov is a mystery to me. This is the only book by him that I own and I don't really know much about it aside from the title and the photos (I should probably read the essay). My personal feeling is that Boris is kind of like a European/Russian Araki. I don't know if they have a word in Russian for Photo Maniac (the word Araki uses for himself in Japanese)but that describes Boris.
This book is comprised of mostly panoramic photos that Boris has drawn and/or painted on. Aside from a few places I recognize, I am only guessing that this book was shot in Arles and Paris.
At some point the book changes to the "And" section which maybe is not Arles or Paris. There is definitely a stylistic shift in the photos to non-panoramic and color photos with less embellishment on them.
The book ends with some photos of Boris himself. Like Araki, he appears often in his own work.

No comments: