Monday, February 14, 2011



Some thoughts on Street Photography.....

There has been a big resurgence in "street photography" the last few years. I've noticed quite a few somewhat "elitist" street photography groups on things like flickr and in-public. They tend to be the standard by which "good" street photography is judged in the modern day world. I enjoy street photography as it documents modern life and carries on a tradition. However, I have noticed that people are concerned more with form than content. The "Winogrand Aesthetic" of people looking right at the camera, with a tilted frame shot through a wide angle lens. I understand the trick is to shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot, but when you have 3,000 photos on the internet of people walking through Manhattan with no real content to it.....well, maybe it's time to hire someone to edit for you. I'm not arguing against street photography, or any of the photographers involved in these online groups, I just would like to see more content....take a picture where there is actually something going on.

Now that I've been on my tirade, the photo above is pretty much everything I've argued against. No real content and a picture of a stranger. Enjoy hypocrisy.

P.S. Winogrand is king.

San Jose, California. March 2009.

No comments: